Office of Multicultural Affairs
WELCOME TO THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH FLORIDA ST. PETERSBURG OFFICE OF MULTICULTURAL AFFAIRS!
The mission of the Office of Multicultural Affairs (OMA) is to create a safe and inclusive environment for all marginalized identities that promotes authenticity and self-liberation. OMA will and continues to center Black and Brown students in the USF St. Petersburg Community, while honoring the beautiful and challenging experiences Black and Brown students face in society. OMA strives to implement and sustain equity and justice throughout campus and the St. Petersburg community.
- Goal #1: Provide programs, initiatives, and organizations that encourage a successful
transition into the collegiate experience/USF St. Petersburg campus community
- Strategy: OMA provides exposure to an array of programs and initiatives focusing on cultures and traditions
- Goal #2: Develop and promote programs that support the retention, progress, and graduation
of underrepresented students
- Strategy: OMA provides intentional programming that particularly centers marginalized students and their experience at USF St. Petersburg.
- Goal #3: Deliver trainings that educate students on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion,
while providing particular educational opportunities for students to learn about marginalized
identities and how to be an ally.
- Strategy: OMA provides a three-part Diversity and Inclusion Training and Safe Zone Training that centers reciprocity, allyship, truth telling, and education.
- Goal #4: Creating a diverse and inclusive community for all underrepresented identities
- Strategy: OMA creates affinity spaces, intentional programming and initiatives, and spaces that welcomes all identities
- Goal #5: Provide students with a campus environment that promotes and encourages equitable
and just practices centering marginalized students at the University of South Florida
St. Petersburg campus.
- Strategy: OMA serves as a source of guidance and advocate for marginalized students as they navigate their USF St. Petersburg experience.
- Goal #6: Partner and engage community stakeholders in the St. Petersburg area and
surrounding Tampa Bay area
- Strategy: OMA partners with many community organizations on various programs and initiatives that builds a bridge between USF St. Petersburg students and the Tampa Bay community
OMA C.A.R.E.S encompasses the values of OMA. They describe our belief systems that
serves as the foundation of what we strive to do and how we serve students in OMA.
They help guide us in making critical decisions and always allows us to show up authentically
for students in the USF St. Petersburg campus community.
Celebrate – OMA promotes and admires the many different cultures and traditions that creates an inclusive, but different environment.
Advocacy – OMA showcases progressive actions towards social justice through multiple programs and initiatives that uphold a diverse and inclusive community
Respect – OMA recognizes difference in every student and allows each student to embrace their difference in a safe and inclusive community
Educate – OMA authentically and holistically respects each individual and encourages education about marginalized identities on campus
Student Success – OMA encourages and promotes personal and academic development that will ultimately enhance life –long learning
PROGRAMS AND INITIATIVES
- Safe Zone Ally Training
- Pronouns Training
- Diversity & Inclusion Three Part Series Training
- Multicultural Resource Library
- What's the Tea
OMA Contact Information
Student Life Center 1400
The office of Multicultural Affairs in collaboration with various departments works to host a float in the second largest MLK Parade of the nation, held right in our own backyard! Together with the community, we honor the legacy of a great civil rights activist who continues to serve as an icon for people of all backgrounds who inspires all to believe in the day that we can finally achieve equal rights for all human beings.
DIVERSITY & INCLUSION CONFERENCE
The Diversity & Inclusion Conference is a OneOMA initiative, which its purpose is to enhance the learning, understanding, and development of concepts surrounding diversity, inclusion, and social justice for the USF system and students, faculty, and staff of Florida colleges and universities. The workshops provided will focus on three sub themes, which are resiliency, racial battle fatigue, and celebrating excellence. These intentional workshops will explore real and important conversations, while celebrating the hard work we all have done.
ST. PETE PRIDE PARADE
The office of Multicultural Affairs in collaboration with various departments works to host a float in Tampa’s largest LGBT Pride Celebration, held right in our own backyard! Imagine 5,000 people swishing and sauntering along Downtown St Pete’s Bayshore Dr in a dazzling array of sequins, beads, leathers and feathers to celebrate the power and beauty of diversity, with more than 300,000 people cheering them on. Here we show the state all the beautiful colors of our diverse community, and have a fabulous opportunity for unbridled self-expression and love.