Aquatics and Safety
Coquina Pool, located at Coquina Hall near The Edge, is a 100-foot long, 5 lane outdoor pool for both lap swimming and recreational use. It is located on the southeast corner of campus and accessed via the Campus Rec Hub in The Edge. There are locker rooms on the south side of the building available for daily or extended use. The pool is ADA accessible and offers ample deck space for both shaded lounging and sunbathing. The pool has a basketball hoop, volleyball net, and a logroll for your enjoyment.
The Aquatics program also offers group and private swim lessons, lifeguard classes, water safety instructor classes, and SCUBA classes.
Whether you’re interested in working as a lifeguard for Campus Recreation or you need to get certified for your summer job, we’ve got the class for you. You can register online or come in to The Edge and register in person.
The purpose of the lifeguard course is to teach you the skills needed to help prevent and respond to aquatic emergencies. This includes land and water rescue skills, as well as First Aid and CPR. As a professional rescuer with a legal responsibility to act in an emergency, you must be self-disciplined and confident in your knowledge and skills. You need to have solid public relations, customer service and conflict resolution skills. In addition, you must be willing to be a leader and a good team member. Being a lifeguard requires maturity, professionalism and competence in specialized rescue techniques.
- Minimum age of 15 years
- Swim 300 yards continuously using either front-crawl and/or breaststroke
- Tread water for two minutes using only legs
- Complete the following timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards
- Surface dive to a depth of 7 to 12 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object
- Return to the surface and swim 20 yards on the back to return to the starting point
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
USF Students (currently enrolled in USF academic classes): $140 per person
USF Department or USF St. Petersburg Campus Recreation Member: $155 per person
Non-USF Department or Member:$170 per person
USF St. Petersburg Campus Recreation is currently offering National Safety Council First Aid & CPR classes through certified instructors. Registration is required for both CPR and First Aid Classes.
Participants in classes will receive certification in adult, child, and infant CPR and AED usage, as well as management of choking related emergencies. All classes will be held on the University of South Florida St. Petersburg campus. Specific building and room number will be determined and confirmed via email as the class date approaches.
- USF Students (currently enrolled in USF academic classes): $40 per person
- USF Department or USF St. Petersburg Campus Recreation Member: $50 per person
- Non-USF Department or Non-USF St. Petersburg Campus Recreation Member: $60 per person
If your club, organization, or department would like to request a private First Aid and CPR class please email Al Gentilini. We are happy to accommodate your requests!