Make a Referral
Whether a student in your course is having academic difficulty or shows signs of disturbing behavior, there are multiple paths to get the student the help they need and simultaneously alert others on campus who may be able to assist. Please see below for a list of intervention options and suggestions for when each option should be used.
1. CONTACT THE COMPASS STUDENT EXPERIENCE TEAM
Compass can serve as a sounding board if you need advice on how to handle a student issue or want to get help for a student who is having difficulties in your course. Please note the below guidelines for social concerns vs. academic concerns.
- For social concerns email Carolina Nutt with your questions or concerns or call 727-873-4787.
- For academic concerns please complete the Academic Referral Form below. Student Success Advocates monitor this form and will respond to support students.
- For concerns where they are both social and academic concerns please complete the academic referral form, the COMPASS team will ensure the student receives individualized support that reflects their needs.
2. SUBMIT A STUDENT OF CONCERN FORM (SOCAT)
The Student Outreach and Care Action Team (SOCAT) works with students who may be distressed or whose behavior is of concern to others. SOCAT was established as a way to provide support and assistance to a student before more significant problems arise. SOCAT’s focus is to help offer supportive intervention and guidance to any USF St. Petersburg student who is struggling. The goal is to help the student focus on academic success, avert more serious difficulties, and ensure the safety of both the student and the USF St. Petersburg community. Convened by the Dean of Students, the USF St. Petersburg Student of Concern Assistance Team includes members from the Campus Police, Wellness Center, Academic Advising, Student Disabilities, Housing and Residence Life, and others as needed.