Grants & Initiatives
Within My Reach
Strengthening relationships between family members to create safe and supportive households.
Zero to Three
Supporting Fathers and Mothers as Coparents; The Next Frontier for Infant and Toddler Mental Health
Figuring It Out for the Child (FIOC)
Father and mother connect as a parenting team
Engaging Fathers in Home Visiting Services
The importance of involving fathers in home visiting programs, biases that may disrupt home visitors’ work with men, and steps home visitors can take towards better engaging fathers.
Promoting Coparenting Alliances Between Biological and Foster Families to Strengthen
Child Adjustment: Parent2Parent Initiative
(Just in Time Florida Training Video)
For the Quality Parenting Initiative: The Importance of Quality Early Education in the Child Welfare System (Considerations from an Attachment and Coparenting Framework)
Publications & ARticles
- McHale, J. & Sirotkin, Y. (2019). Coparenting in diverse family systems. In M. Bornstein (Ed.), Handbook of Parenting (3rd. Ed.). New Jersey: Erlbaum (pp. 125-154)
- Coates, E. & McHale, J. (2018), Triangular interactions of unmarried African American mothers and fathers with their 3-month-old infants. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 27, 3096-3106. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-018-1082-8
- McHale, J., Favez, N. & Fivaz-Depeursinge, E. (2018). The Lausanne Trilogue Play paradigm: Breaking discoveries in family process and therapy. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 27, 3063-3072. doi:10.1007/s10826-018-1209-y
- Salman-Engin, S., Sümer, N., Sağel, E., & McHale, J. (2018). Coparenting in the context of mother–father–infant versus mother–grandmother–infant triangular interactions in Turkey. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 27, 3085-3095. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10826-018-1094-4
- Tissot, H., Kuersten-Hogan, R., Frascarolo, F., Favez, N. & McHale, J. (2018). Parental perceptions of individual and dyadic adjustment as predictors of observed coparenting cohesion: A cross-national study.Family Process, 57, 1-17. View Publication
- McHale, J. (2018, May). Triangles and infant mental health: Using a coparenting framework in approaching DC 0-5 Axis II evaluations. Master Lecture presented to the World Association for Infant Mental Health, Rome, Italy.
- Negrini L., McHale J., Butler L., Malone J. & Griner M. (2018, May). Grounding therapeutic gains: Coparenting-centered infant-family mental health with high-risk families. Paper presented to the World Association for Infant Mental Health, Rome, Italy.
- Negrini, L. & McHale, J. (2018, May). Facilitating the systematic integration of coparenting-centered infant mental health across diverse populations. Poster presented to the World Association for Infant Mental Health, Rome, Italy.
- McHale, J. (2017, August). Coparenting between biological parents and both kin and non-kin caregivers. Paper presented at 11th Annual ZERO TO THREE Cross-Sites Meeting of the Safe Babies Court Teams, Ft. Lauderdale, FL.
- Carter, J. & McHale, J. (2017, May). Recalibrating parenting coordination approaches: Coparenting and child adjustment as the prime focus. Workshop presented at the Association of Family and Conciliation Courts 54th Annual Conference, Boston, MA.