Faculty and Staff Resources



The Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Global Engagement recognizes outstanding academic, research, and service achievements to international education at the University of South Florida St. Petersburg. The recipient will receive a plaque, a cash award of $2000 and a $3000 international travel allowance to further international research, teaching and/or service.


To encourage international collaboration and campus internationalization, USF World St. Petersburg in the Division of Academic Affairs announces an International Visitor Grant to host short-term visitors on campus.  Grants provide financial support to departments/colleges to cover travel expenses for bringing distinguished international visitors to campus for events such as workshops, lectures, performances, and conferences.


International Travel with Students (Non-Credit)

This proposal allows a faculty, staff member or designated program leader to register Student Related travel with the Education Abroad Office when taking students abroad for research, service trips, conferences, etc.

USF World has categorized countries into three tiers that each have specific restrictions.

  • Tier One Countries (or locations) have the most significant risk. By USF World definition, a Tier One country has been issued a travel warning by the U.S. Department of State advising US citizens to avoid traveling to the country or portion of the country. Student related travel to a Tier One location is not permitted whether it is the intended destination or transfer point.
  • Tier Two travel may also not be permitted.  Please review the Tier Risk Designation Chart to confirm the Tier Level for your chosen destination.
  • If you are creating an international experience for travel to a Tier One or a Tier Two location with significant risks due to health, safety or security concerns, you will need to be submit a petition to the Global Risk Assessment Committee.  This process can be lengthy so please register your travel at least 6-8 weeks prior to departure. 

GRAC and Registration Process 

After your application is completed and approved, the Education Abroad office will register you for insurance. You will also be provided with a link where your students can apply.

International Business Travel

International business travelers must obtain approval and authorization at the collegiate/departmental level. However, USF World is your resource for guidelines and services necessary for a safe and productive international travel experience.

Business travel includes all non-student international travelers which comprises faculty, staff and volunteers on university business in support of a specific program of instruction, research, site visit or public service, or more general programs of professional development, international conferences or university operations.

Developing an International Agreement

USF has active collaborative agreements in countries around the globe, laying the foundation for profound and enriching international educational and research experiences for both faculty and students.



Completion of the Feasibility Report for New Partnership Agreement
Completion of the General Agreement for Collaboration


Occasionally partnerships will further develop requiring an MOU.
Completion of a Memorandum of Understanding

Read about how to establish a student exchange agreement

Sponsor a Visiting Scholar (J-1 Exchange)

The J-1 Exchange Visitor Program brings qualified international faculty, professors, research scholars, specialists, and other professionals to the United States to participate in educational and cultural programs. The University of South Florida has been approved by the U.S. Department of State to serve as the visa sponsor for international visitors to participate in research, teaching, consulting, and observation at USF and its affiliates.

An Exchange Visitor or J Scholar at USF St. Petersburg is a foreign national who is coming temporarily to the United States for the purpose of educational and cultural exchange, not employment. The principal exchange visitor obtains a J-1 visa; the spouse and minor children obtain J-2 visas.

The University of South Florida uses the following Exchange Visitor categories:

  • Professor
    An individual primarily teaching, lecturing, observing or consulting at USF from 3 weeks to 5 years in duration.  This is not for a USF tenure track position.  The individual may also conduct research if stated in the application process. The visiting professor must have a Bachelor’s degree at a minimum that matches the planned academic activity at USF.
  • Research Scholar
    An individual primarily conducting research, observing or consulting in connection with a research at USF from 3 weeks to 5 years in duration.  This is not for a USF tenure track position. The visiting scholar must have a Bachelor’s degree at a minimum that matches the planned academic activity at USF.
  • Short-term Scholar
    A professor, research scholar, or other individual with similar education or accomplishments coming to USF for a short-term visit of 1 day to 6 months for the purpose of lecturing, observing, consulting, training, or demonstrating a special skill at USF. The individual must have a Bachelor’s degree at a minimum that matches the planned academic activity at USF.
  • Specialist
    An individual who is an expert in a field of specialized knowledge or skill coming to USF for observing, consulting, or demonstrating this knowledge or skill for three weeks to one year. The individual can receive a stipend if arranged prior to the visit but cannot fill a line position at USF.

Scholars must show adequate financial support for all living expenses, including additional financial support for any accompanying family members.

Estimated Expenses for One Year

Housing & Meals* – $17,808
Health Insurance – $2,371
Other expenses** – $4,776
TOTAL – $24,955

Plus $5000 per year per dependent.
*Includes utilities (electricity, water, gas, phone, internet, cable TV) $100 – $200 per month. Often part of rent.
**Other expenses include transportation and miscellaneous personal expenses (such as laundry, toiletries, clothing, and entertainment).

Sample Costs

Personal Care Products/Toiletries – $35 per month
Laundry costs $1.00 to wash and $1.00 to dry at most laundromats.
Taxi rates in Tampa are $2.50 plus $2.40 per mile.
Uber/Lyft rates in Tampa are $1.25 plus 13 center per mile
The university charges no direct fees. The following university services have costs.

Campus Recreation Fitness Facility Membership – $22.50 – $36.30 per month
Student Health Services – $100 per semester


  • Complete Scholar Request Form
  • Supervise the academic activity during the scholar’s stay at USF.
  • Arrange for office space and access to equipment (computer, phone, etc) as deemed appropriate for the academic activity.
  • Provide the Office of International Services (OIS), International Scholar Advisor with accurate program, funding, and other related information throughout the duration of the J-1’s program at USF.  This includes:
    • Cancellation, termination or early completion of the scholar’s program
    • Significant changes in position/project
    • Changes in funding sources and amounts
    • Intent to transfer to another USF department, faculty member, or sponsor
    • Plans to change immigration status
  • “Ensure that the activity in which the exchange visitor is engaged is consistent with the category and activity listed on the exchange visitor’s Form DS-2019.” [22 CFR 62.10(e)(1)].
  • This means that the scholar should maintain their original program objectives as indicated on the initial DS-2019 request and form.
  • Encourage the scholar to participate in cultural exchange activities offered by USF World and the OIS to ensure compliance with Department of State’s requirements.
  • Scholars, whether classified as USF paid or non-paid, have the same access to benefits and rights as any USF employee. This includes but is not limited to:
    • Attendance and overtime policies and typical hours of operation within their department and/or lab.
      • Full-time employment is generally considered working 30 to 50 hours per week.  (Hours worked should not exceed more than 50 hours per week.)
      • Non-paid scholars should track hours spent in their academic activity in a timesheet that is signed off by the sponsoring supervisor.
      • Awareness of vacation and other types of leave available such as vacation, sick leave, family or medical leave, and funeral or death leave.
      • Scholars accrue leave hours in accordance with HR policies.
  • Office of International Services should be notified of scholar’s absenteeism.
    • If there has been no contact with the scholar for at least 24 hours, the OIS, International Scholar Advisor, should be notified immediately.
    • If there has been contact with the scholar, but they have been absent for five days with no valid reason, the OIS, International Scholar Advisor, should be notified.
    • Safe and clean working conditions
    • Receive the necessary training to perform job functions
    • Be aware of harassment and sexual harassment policies
    • Inclusion in meetings, seminars, and other department activities
    • Retaliation and threat of retaliation policies will not be tolerated
  • Scholars can be accompanied by dependents (spouse and/or children under the age of 21).  Scholars must have sufficient funds to support each dependent and maintain health insurance coverage.
  • Update USF Export Control if any changes occur to the scholar’s program that may affect export compliance.


Occasional Lectures or consultations
J scholars in Short-Term Scholar and Research Scholar/Professor categories may participate in occasional lectures and short-term consultations at off-campus locations if they do not interfere with the current activities and are approved by the sponsoring department and International Services. The term occasional is generally understood to refer to single events rather than an ongoing activity. To request permission for an off-campus lecture or consultation, the host department will need to provide the visiting scholar with the letters below who will then submit to International Services:

  • Letter from current faculty sponsor or department head that confirms the lecture or consultation is directly related to your principal activity, is indeed incidental, and will not delay completion of your program.  The letter must recommend approval and explain how the proposed activity would enhance your program.
  • Letter of offer from the sponsor of the lecture or consultation describing the terms and conditions of the proposed activity, including the duration, the number of hours, the field or subject, the amount of compensation, and a description of the activity.

If approved, the visiting scholar will receive a letter granting permission. To be paid, the visiting scholar must be an independent contractor and would use the letter as authorization to receive compensation.

Visiting Scholar Forms

To get started with the online scholar application process, please follow the instructions below.

See the J-1 Scholar Application Instruction for Departments.pdf for a detailed walkthrough of the process.

  1. Determine who the ‘department contact’ will be. The department contact is the person who will be responsible for logging into iStart and going through the online scholar application process. It might be a department administrator or the professor from the department who is inviting the scholar.
  2. The department contact will log in
  3. If it is the first time the department contact has logged in, they will fill out the Department Access Request Form and then email the scholar advisor to let us know they’ve applied.
  4. Once we approve their access, the department contact should log back in and begin the application process.
    – Find the Add Person E-form to add the new scholar to the iStart system.
    – Once the scholar is added, they can click on the J-1 Scholar App and Check-in link to officially begin the application process.
    – Follow the instructions on each E-Form and at the top of the application page.

Scholar Extension Form (DS-2019) (includes Export Control requirements) (completed by host department)

Health Insurance Compliance Form (completed by visiting scholar)

Visiting Scholar Responsibilities


Upon completion of an exchange program in the US, certain J scholars are required to live in their home country for a period of two years before they are eligible to apply for immigrant status (US Permanent Residency or “green card”) or work visas (H, L or K).  This requirement applies if:

  • the exchange visitor’s participation in an exchange program was financed, directly or indirectly, by the US government or a foreign government for purpose of exchange
  • the skills that the exchange visitor is coming to develop or exercise are in a field which the exchange visitor’s “home” government requested be included on the State Department skills list. See the US DOS Skills List .
  • the exchange visitor comes to the US to receive graduate medical education or training
  • For complete information on the Two Year Residency Requirement, please visit the U.S. Department of State web site.


To request a waiver of the Two Year Requirement, you must file a DS-3035 form, which may be accessed through the Department of State’s website .


Individuals that participated in J program for more than six months are not eligible to enter the US as a J-1 Research Scholar or Professor until 12 months after the exit from the US.  Time spent in the J-1 Short-term Scholar category does not count towards the 12-month bar. The 12-month bar applies to both the J-1 principal and any J-2 dependents. The 12-month bar does not prevent individuals from returning to the United States in any other visa status.


Any individual who participates in an Exchange Visitor program in the Researcher Scholar or Professor category on or after 11/18/06 is subject to a 24-month bar on “repeat participation” in those categories. Scholars subject to the 24-month bar may not return to the United States as a J-1 scholar in the Research Scholar or Professor category for the 24-month period. This bar also applies to J-2 dependents. The 24-month bar is not the same as the Two Year Home Residence Requirement. The 24-month bar does not prevent individuals from returning to the United States in any other visa status.


J scholars in the Research Scholar and Professor categories will not be able to return to the US as a J scholar for a 2 year period upon conclusion of their program.  When a J scholar either concludes or leaves a J-1 program, whichever happens earlier, the scholar’s record becomes inactive in SEVIS; thus making it impossible for the International Services to reactivate it.  At that point, the 24-month bar time starts to accrue.

Hire an International Student (F1)


Most international students at USF St. Petersburg will hold an F-1 visa. F-1 students enrolled full-time (12 credits undergraduate, 9 credits graduate) are allowed to work on campus 20 hours per week or less during the Fall and Spring semester.  All on-campus work, including assistantships, is limited to a combined total of 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring Semesters.  Students may work on-campus up to 29 hours per week during annual vacation and breaks only. While immigration rules allow for up to 40 work hours per week while on annual vacation and breaks, USF St. Petersburg Student Employment guidelines state that student employees should not work over 29 hours per week.   

F-1 students should not engage in any unauthorized off-campus employment unless approved for Curricular Practical Training and/or Optional Practical Training by International Student Services.

Work on the school grounds where the student is employed directly by the I-20 issuing institution.*
Work on the school premises, where the student is employed by a commercial firm which provides essential services to students. Some examples of these on-campus commercial firms are Sodexho and the campus Bookstore.**
International students are not eligible for positions designated as Federal Work Study (FWS)
* Students holding an I-20 from USF St. Petersburg may not work at USF Tampa

**If the position is on the USF St. Petersburg campus, but not paid with a USF check, please ask ISS before you offer employment.

Students holding a J-1 visa or another visa status which allows them to study in the U.S. should confirm their work eligibility with International Student Services.


  • International students may not work off-campus without authorization so typically their only employment option is on-campus work
  • Hiring international students diversifies the campus workforce
  • International students bring a global perspective to campus
  • On-campus employment increases student retention
  • On-campus employment helps the student adjustment to a new culture
    International students are tenacious (they had to jump through a lot of hoops to get to campus)
  • International students are eager to learn about work life in the United States


  • Confirm student’s visa category by asking to see I-20 (F-1 students)
  • Interview student
  • Make an offer
  • Student has Social Security CardProceed to Human Resources on-boarding process.
  • Student needs Social Security CardDepartment issues job offer letter (international students first must have a job offer letter in order to apply for a Social Security Number)
  • Student makes request in IStart (International Student System) for a social security letter and uploads job offer letter
  • International Student Services reviews request and issues letter
  • Student takes social security letter along with job offer letter and immigration documents (I -20, passport, I-94, and I-20) to the Social Security office and submits an application.
  • Student will receive a receipt from Social Security.
  • Typically, a social security number will be issued and released to the student over the phone within 72 hours.
  • Student goes through Human Resources on-boarding process

Department-Funded Temporary Student Employment (TSE) is funded by each department’s own budget and managed by each individual department/area. No financial aid award is required. These positions were formerly known as “OPS” and are for all students who wish to apply. Peak hiring periods occur before each semester.

Must be a currently enrolled USF student
Must participate in direct deposit
Must be eligible to work in the United States
Should not work over 29 hours per week, recommend no more than 20
Students who work over 32 hours will lose their FICA tax exemption
Students who work over 30 hours may become eligible for State Group insurance benefits (Department pays employer contribution)

International Student Services
Office of Global Initiatives


Established in 1946, the Fulbright Program aims to increase mutual understanding between the peoples of the United States and other countries, through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. Each year USF faculty and students contribute to and participate in many Fulbright programs. To find out about the opportunities available visit their website.

Dr. Darlene DeMarie serves as USF’s Fulbright Faculty Advisor. She was a Fulbright CORE Scholar (South Africa) and served as a Fulbright reviewer for CIES and for the American Embassy in South Africa. Under her leadership, USF has experienced unprecedented success with the Fulbright Program.

Dr. DeMarie offers a series of workshops during the spring and summer semesters to introduce faculty to the range of opportunities available through the Fulbright Program and to assist faculty with the writing process associated with a successful Fulbright application. Faculty who have completed the workshops and who attended subsequent writing groups have been more likely to be awarded a Fulbright CORE Award. For information about the workshop series or to contact Dr. DeMarie, email us.

Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program
Faculty members hoping to obtain research grants have until Friday, August 1, 2014 to apply for the Core Fulbright U.S. Scholar Program. Over 800 teaching and/or research grants will be provided to U.S. faculty and experienced professionals.
See Core Fullbright.

Fulbright International Education Administrators Program (IEA)
U.S. international education professionals and senior higher education officials looking to network and connect with educational systems in various countries should apply for the Fulbright International Education Administrators Program. Seminars will be held in India, Japan, Korea, France, Germany, and the United Kingdom. Application deadlines vary by program.
See Fulbright International Education Administrators Program

Fulbright Specialist Program
The Fulbright Specialist Program is designed to promote networking and connections among U.S. scholars and professionals and their counterparts at various overseas institutions. The grants are flexible and will allow the recipient to pursue projects that align with current academic or professional commitments. Rolling Deadline.
See Fulbright Specialist Program

The Fulbright Scholar Program has joined the blogging world! Visit the Fulbright Scholar Blog for news, highlights and helpful information regarding the program.

Faculty Fulbright List

International Teaching Opportunities

International teaching opportunities for USF St. Petersburg faculty are available at our partner institutions. Please contact us for more information.

International Student Advising Quick Reference

Full Course of Study
Full time = a minimum of 12 Credit hours for Undergraduate and 9 Credit hours for Graduates.


9 credit hours on campus + 3 credit hours online = 12 Credit hours
9 credit hours on campus + 6 credit hours online = 15 credit hours
12 credit hours on campus + 3 credit hours online = 15 credit hours
6 credit hours on campus + 6 credit hours online = 12 credit hours* (Not Allowed)

6 credit hours on campus + 3 credit hours online = 9 credit hours
3 credit hours on campus + 6 credit hours online = 9 credit hours (Not Allowed)
*Hybrid Classes count as on-campus for purposes of immigration*

Designated School Official (DSO): Person responsible for issuing and updating immigration documents

Reduced Coarse Load (RCL)– students engages in less than a full course of study based upon:

Illness or a medical condition that has been documented by licensed medical doctor.
Final term/ semester if fewer courses are needed to graduateProcedure: Must request on IStart and DSO must approve it before dropping below 12 credit hours (UG)/ 9 Credit hours (Grad)
Summer Enrollment: According to the Department of Homeland Security this is an Annual vacation. Unless:

  • It is their first semester on CampusFull time enrollment would be 12 credit hours (UG)
  • Full time enrollment would be 9 credit hours (Grad)
  • Their academic program requires it
  • Their program end date will be the following fall or
  • Graduation – at least one class must be on campus
  • Program End Date: The last date to complete academic program or graduate by. Be sure to notify students of their end date and tell them to contact us for an extension if they are not graduating that term. *Must notify us before the date ends*

Extension: the program end date would extended another semester or two depending on how long they will need to complete their degree.

CPT/ OPT: Student must see the International Student Advisor for more information

Curricular Practical Training (CPT)- Internships or Training while obtaining degreeTraining relates directly to the student’s major area of study.
Training is an integral part of the school’s established curriculum.
Authorized by the International Student Advisor
An Internship course attached to CPT counts as on-campus
Optional Practical Training (OPT)- Work for 12 months after completing degreeTraining relates directly to the student’s major area of study.
Allows the student to work for any employer, as long as the training relates to the student’s major course of study
Recommended/ Authorized by International Student Advisor

Authorized early withdrawal: An F-1 student who fails to maintain a full course of study without the approval of the DSO fails to maintain status. If a student withdraw from classes they will need to leave the country. Have them see us before withdrawing to authorize the withdrawal.

Study Abroad: F-1s can study abroad, but cannot not be enrolled greater than 5 months as well as cannot be more than 5 months outside US.