We support students emerging from foster care by providing unique opportunities to develop foundational knowledge of self, gain leadership skills, and build a sense of community to prepare each pearl for lifelong achievement.
To provide intentional goal-directed programing focused on academic success, leadership development, healthy boundaries, positive relationship building, and ensure equitable experiences and access to success throughout the university for each pearl.
St. Pete Pearls was designed and created for USF St. Petersburg campus students emerging from the foster-care system. Nationally, the graduation rate of persons emerging from the foster-care system with a 2 or 4 year degree is less than 2%. Florida youth, spending 6 months or more within the foster-care, have access to benefits such as free tuition wavier and monthly financial stipend. Yet despite these financial benefits USF's graduation rate of these students remain par with national average. With student success in mind USF's leadership researched, collaborated and cultivated an exclusive support program focused on supporting the unique needs young adults matriculating to USF with their unique experiences.
WHAT WE DO
- Provide skill building activities and support opportunities to galvanize the students independence
- Provide a wholistic student-centered model of support with a focused approach on
- Care Coordination
- Provide member exclusive events and programming tailored to meet the group of students
where they are at in terms independent living skill level such as
- Credit and Financial Literacy
- Career Preparedness and Readiness
- Sexual and Physical Health and Welbeing
- Academic Skills
- and Many others
- Mentorship with faculty and staff with similar interests and preferred and desired personality traits.