Diversity, Equity, Inclusion & Belonging
Amplify Your Career Plans with your Identities
USF St. Petersburg campus Career Services is committed to support and uphold the mission, vision and values of the institution and its dedication to the diversity of human beings as well as diversity of ideas and viewpoints. We strive to enable our graduates to pursue careers and professions with competence and confidence, and believe learning from and with individuals from diverse backgrounds provide experiences to allow them to prosper in a diverse global environment.
“Valuing individual diversity means reaching beyond stereotypical views of individuals and using the strengths and different perspectives that each person offers as a result of his or her culture, religion, ethnicity, gender, race, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, and age.” National Association of Colleges & Employers Diversity Statement (NACE)
Below are resources that you may find useful for the career exploration and job search processes to help you in maximizing your diversity. The links below are provided for your convenience, but are not necessarily endorsed by the Career Services.
College Diversity Network
INROADS (Internships for Minority Youth in Business and Industry)
Diverse: Issues in Higher Education
Professional Diversity Network Job Board
The Black Collegia – The Career Site for African American Students
Black Career Network
African American Village on IMDiversity.com
iHispano – America’s Leading Hispanic Job Portal
LatPro – The Essential Job Board for Hispanic & Bilingual Professionals
National Association of Hispanic Journalists
Human Rights Commission - Workplace Resources
National LGBT Chamber of Commerce
Out and Equal
Job Accomodation Network
Office of Personnel Management - Disability Employment - Policy, Data Oversight
ADHD At Work
Disability Job Boards
Hire Potential - Disability compliance and inclusion
Project HiredThe Sierra Group - Recruit Disability
Concious Job Seeking
"Conscious job seeking is searching for employment or contractor opportunities that align with your vision, mission, values, and goals" (NACE, 2020.) Students can use the following technigues to help with finding organizations, employers, contractors that hold congruent diversity, inclusion, equity and belonging values.
Research Organizational Mission and Values
Utilize documents and websites to review organizations values, mission, vision statements, and organizational charts. Review the organizations social media channels, websites, LinkedIn connections, and GlassDoor.com's reviews.
Think about the following: Who do you see represented? Can you find information that backs up their stated values? Are their affinity groups or networking/mentoring opportunities? Is there a Chief Diversity Officer (CDO) or dedicated team to diversity, equity or inclusivity?
Do the answers to these questions align with your values.
Ask Questions During the Interview Process or Beyond
- How does your organization define diversity?
- What lenses of diversity has your organization made a direct commitment toward?
- Does your organization have a chief diversity officer (CDO) or a designated leader to drive DEI and engage internal and external stakeholders?
- What social causes does your organization support?
- Does your organization actively support diverse suppliers, contractors, and small businesses?
- Has your organization made any formal commitments in support of racial equity?
- How does your organization center diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging?
- Does your organization offer any formal employee training around biases, anti-racism, or general DEI?
- How has your organization prioritized executive accountability toward DEI advancement?
- Does your organization have any affinity groups or committees to support diverse populations? If so, how do these groups contribute to the culture of the organization?
- Does your organization complete annual compensation equity analysis?
- What resources has your organization provided to its employees in support of COVID-19 and racial injustices?
Seek Out Top Diversity Rankings
Corporate Equality Index- Human Rights Campaign
DiversityComm Best of the Best
Top 50 Companies for Diversity - Diversity, Inc.
Top 20 Fortune 500 Companies on Diversity & Inclusion
Vervoe's 39 Most Diverse Companies